With the numerous of platforms and social media sites that are being developed and introduced in the net today, people become overwhelmed and sometimes they get saturated with it. While there are really no specific rule in joining a social media site, it is also important to identify which one would suit most your needs or preference. It would also be helpful to consider which social media sites would be more beneficial to you and your business.
The Top 5 Social Media Sites
1. Facebook – is the ultimate and king of all social networking sites. It is perhaps the social media site that has the biggest membership coverage. In fact its population count of Facebook users is almost the same as that of North and South America combined demographics. Facebook has been famous because it has been one venue where people can connect with their long lost friends, far away family or relatives, old classmates or teachers, and even customers or employers from the different side of the planet. Relationships have been stretched from being personal to business which has even made it a more popular platform.
2. Digg – This social media site is more concentrated on social news or stories within which visitors or members are allowed to post their links to the news stories. The links and news stories are strategically used to optimize page ranking of a certain website which is why Digg has been a significant tool in SEO. Links are usually posted to popular news stories or articles that are receiving many “Diggs” which can also be interpreted as increasing the ranking of that particular article or story.
3. LinkedIn – is Facebook’s counterpart but is geared more towards networking of professionals. This social media site has been popularized with its platform of helping out users to find business partners, job opportunities, business growth, and other professional networking agenda.
4. Twitter – This is the online text messaging version with a blend of a micro blogging feature. A tweet is a post or a message that you send out to everyone and it can be anything from your personal feelings, to a link that you like, or an opinion that you want to share. You can follow anyone’s twitter and at the same time you can be followed by anyone. Although your tweet only gives you a 140 characters which already include your twitter ID name.
5. YouTube – This widely known video media resource is another of those social media sites where users can freely share their videos online by uploading it to the site. It has also been tagged to be producing viral videos because everyone has access to it, can watch it, and is free to comment about the video. The power of this media tool is slowly being recognized as one important tool in driving traffic to a website as well as increasing its page rank.
All the mentioned social media or networking sites were included in the recently held survey on what are the most popular social media sites. This survey was last updated November 2011 by eBizMBA Rank.